Injuries and damage

Criminal injuries compensation

If a driver deliberately hits you with their car and you can show that there was criminal intent, you can apply for compensation for injury. You can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or the Compensation Agency in Northern Ireland. A personal injury isn't a criminal injury, unless the vehicle was used to deliberately inflict, or try to inflict, injury to any person. For example, it would be a criminal injury where an intruder is fleeing from private land and deliberately runs over a security guard in making their escape.

If this has happened to you, you must report the matter to the police as soon as possible. You can get application forms from the police station or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. In England and Wales the maximum award is £500,000. In Northern Ireland the award can exceed £500,000, but any payment can be made in stages, rather than a lump sum. The awards are according to a tariff that sets out the amounts payable for each type of injury. The application must be made within 2 years of the injury.

Relatives or dependents of those who've suffered a fatal injury can also make applications.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau

All insurers in Great Britain are required to be members of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) and to contribute to its funding. It has been created to provide compensation to victims of:

  • Uninsured drivers
  • Untraced drivers (hit and run)
  • Accidents with foreign-registered vehicles in the UK or European Economic Area

If you've successfully sued an offender but they're unable to pay compensation, the MIB will pay the damages awarded according to the 'Uninsured Drivers Agreement'.

If it was a 'hit and run' accident, the matter is dealt with under the 'Untraced Drivers Agreement'. The MIB will gather details of the injuries and circumstances of the accident and pay a sum, which should reflect the amount you would have received in court. If you're not satisfied with the award, you can appeal.

If you've been injured by this type of driver, you must contact the MIB with details of the accident and the injuries concerned. It's important that the police are called to the scene of an accident. Their report will be important in any claim for compensation that is made by anyone involved in the accident.

For more information, visit the MIB website.

Related services

Back to top

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.