Getting a number plate

How do I get a number plate made up?

To have a number plate made up for your vehicle, you must go to a (registered number plate supplier).

What will I need?

You'll need to go to the registered supplier with:

1. Proof of your entitlement to the plates, which could be any one of the following:

  • Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI) - these are the preferred documents
  • The new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI) of the registration certificate
  • Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI)
  • Retention document (V778) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
  • Vehicle tax renewal reminder or Statutory Off Road Notification (V11 or V11NI)
  • Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • Authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the DVLA, DVA or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) (England and Wales only); the letter must quote the document reference number from the registration certificate, not the vehicle identification number

2. Proof of identity, which could be any one of the following:

  • Driving licence, whether or not issued in the UK (with or without a photo)
  • An electricity, gas, water supplier, landline telephone, council tax or rates bill issued within the last 6 months
  • A bank or building society statement issued within the last 6 months
  • A passport
  • A national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the UK
  • A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • A police warrant card
  • An armed forces identity card

Back to top