Replacing a registration document

How do I replace a lost or stolen registration document or certificate?

If your registration document or certificate has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you'll need to get a replacement from the DVLA in Swansea. You can do this in one of 3 ways:


If you don't need to change anything in the V5C log book, you can get a replacement online.

To use the online service, you will need to have the following details of the vehicle available:

  • the registration number
  • the VIN/chassis number
  • the name and postcode registered on your log book

You can pay the fee by credit or debit card. You should receive the log book within 5 working days.

Completing a V62 application form

Complete the vehicle registration certificate application form V62, (PDF) and send it with the fee to the DVLA. If your personal details have changed, you can state this on the application form. You should receive the registration certificate within 6 weeks.

By phone

You can also apply by phone if the original registration document or certificate was in your name and there is no change in vehicle or personal details.

You should receive the registration certificate within 6 weeks.

Replacing a registration document or certificate in other circumstances

You'll need to get a replacement registration document or certificate if:

  • You're using the existing registration document or certificate to notify changes to vehicle or personal details.
  • You're the new keeper of the vehicle and the previous keeper hasn't told the DVLA of the change. You must have the new keeper supplement (V5/2 or V5C/2) of the registration document or certificate and send this to the DVLA in Swansea with the V62 application form. You should receive the registration certificate within 4 weeks.
  • The vehicle has been categorised as 'C' – salvage (repairable but repair costs exceeded vehicle value) by the insurance industry and they've destroyed the registration document or certificate. The DVLA or DVA will carry out checks to ensure that the vehicle criteria are met. For further information about the categorisation of vehicles, you should contact your insurance company.

There is no fee to pay in these situations. However, there is a fee to pay if, in the latter instance, the vehicle is classified as category A (scrap only), B (break for spare parts only) or D (repairable).

Back to top